Re: Tiling display support

On 2020-12-19 03:52, Joe wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 23:55:09 +0100
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

Dan Ritter wrote:

>> Does someone run desktop with 4k screen and high frame rate (150
>> fps+)? What monitor and gpu are you using? Are you having any
>> issues?
>

> There are no 4K 150Hz monitors currently commercially available.

OP is asking about 150+FPS and you are talking about 150Hz. I am not
convinced it is the same

It is if interlace is not used, not if interlace is used.

For broadcast television, there is never enough bandwidth, so interlace
is used which halves the required bandwidth for very little visual
degradation. With a stationary picture such as a computer display,
interlace is not used, as it makes a stationary picture appear to
jitter vertically.

So interlaced 1080i at 50 or 60Hz has a frame rate of 25 or 30 FPS,
while progressive 1080p at 50 or 60Hz has a frame rate of 50 or 60 FPS.

I'm not sure I understand. Why are we talking about interlaced video? That doesn't seem to be relevant unless I'm missing something.

There are plenty of 4k 120Hz and 144Hz monitors on the market right now.

I am currently only running dual 60Hz 4K monitors right now with an AMD RX580 GPU each connected via Display Port 1.2

I believe a single Displayport (version 1.3) can support 4K 120 or 144Hz.

There may be some useful information at this link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Resolution_and_refresh_frequency_limits

I regret that I don't know anything about MST or SST. Hopefully someone can help you more. I'm interested to learn what you figure out.

---
Steven Mainor