No success trying to get vinagre (Gnome Remote Desktop Viewer) to work with Raspberry Pi (RealVNC server)

I posted the following to the Gnome Reddit and receive no response, so
I'm wondering if anyone here has been able to get this combination
working.

-------------------

I've been trying to get Vinagre 3.22.0 on my Debian Gnome 3.38.2 desktop
(already installed dependency) to work with the RealVNC server installed
and running on a Raspberry Pi 4 running the latest up-to-date Raspberry
Pi OS. The VNC connection works with the RealVNC viewer but it has a
long EULA (non-libre) and is not well integrated (theming, etc.) into
the Gnome desktop. So far Vinagre has resisted all of my efforts to get
it to talk to the VNC server running on the Pi and each time I try I
immediately get an error dialog that the connection was closed.

I presume this is an authentication issue since the RealVNC viewer has a
dialog for me to enter the username and password.

The minimal help file for Vinagre makes mention of a .vnc file but does
not explain or reference the format such a file should take. I was able
to export the connection information from RealVNC viewer into a .vnc
file, but Vinagre cannot use it. First it errored that there was no
group in the key file so I created a group and then it errored that the
group was not appropriately named Connections, so I fixed that and now
immediately get the dialog that the connection was closed.

-------------------

At first I thought of RDP and had installed xrdp on the Pi and I seemed
to get a connection to it from Vinagre but would only get a cyan screen
and a gray box in the center, reminiscent of Motif apps that would
freeze and not update the UI from long, long ago.  Web searches showed
that the gray box was supposed to be a login to the desktop, but the
dialog never rendered even waiting for many minutes.  Then I read a blog
post that asserted the xrdp was interfered with by the RealVNC server
being installed so I opted to try in instead and removed xrdp and its
associated packages.  Now, if I could get xrdp to work with Vinagre, I'd
probably be quite happy with that.  The aforementioned blog post
discussed removing the realvnc* packages to allow xrdp to work, so
perhaps that is worth a try.

TIA

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us