Re: Debian 10 64bit

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 06:02:48PM +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:
> It seems to me that Jerry may have mistakenly typed a user rather than root password at the su (not sudo) prompt at least once, but also used the correct (root) password at least once.
>
> How else could changes to /etc/sudoers (which I imagine is what is meant by "the sudouse(r) file") have been saved?

In Debian, there's no need to modify the sudoers file if you only want
"all or nothing" access to sudo.  Users in the sudo group have full
access and can use sudo to do anything.  Users not in the group have
no access.

If you leave the root password empty during installation, your initial
user account is added to the sudo group, and the sudo package is added
to the list of packages to be installed.

If you install a desktop environment, the sudo package is also added
to the list of packages to be installed.  Of course, in order to *use*
it, you'll need to add users to the sudo group, or modify the sudoers
file.