Debian 10 64bit

I finally got around to installing debian 10 on my 64bit system(thus
removing the i386version I had originally instaled). The install went
well and I asked for a seperate Home particion. When I booted the system
and try to do "apt-get update and apt-get upgrade" using "sudo" it would
not let me do that. Said I was not a sudo user. I then tried "su root"
which failed as well as it said I was not a sudo user. I went to the
sudouse file and changed it to make me a user. Sudo as myself worked
fine but su root still did not work.

After seeing the email concering problems with sudo and su root I
decided to reload. I did but did a use whole disk (no home part).
After booting I did have to go to the sudouser file an change it again
but the su root worked with out a problem.

Only saying all of this because of the email chatter on sudo and su
root.

Thanks for the attention a great info.
Jerry