Re: Guest Samba shares

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 10:45:01AM +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> On 12/12/20 8:34 am, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > I made various minor changes (like changing the mount to /music) and now
> > the problem appears to be resolved. As is sometimes the case, the
> > problem gets solved without you knowing how you solved it.
>

> Perhaps the restart of samba?   Or do you mean you re-named tthe mount
> point on the mac?
>
> Pleased it's solved.
>

> For what it's worth, I drafted this last night but couldn't send it -
> kicking self as I knew most of you would be active whilst I was asleep:
>
> This article seems to confirm my thought that macOS supports sshfs:
>
> https://igppwiki.ucsd.edu/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=6063930#content/view/6063930
>
> I'm sure it does nfs if you prefer.

As far as I know, there is no NFS in sight on the Mac. Dunno about
sshfs.

> It's been ages since I used samba, but I recall that users needed a
> smbpasswd set. I see you have no passwd, but I'm not sure that cuts it.

My wife is connecting as a guest, which makes it easier on her. As she
would only be downloading mp3 files to play, she can be a "guest".

> Another suggestion: try mounting the 'music' partition somewhere else on
> your Pi, and maybe give it a userid and groupid at fstab. And maybe add
> your wife to that group?

I changed the mount to /music, owned by root, but with 777 perms. As a
guest, samba won't permit her to write to the directory.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com