Re: Guest Samba shares

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 04:14:15PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
>>
>> There is too much level of complexity in this issue from what I read
>> already:
>>
>> 1. it is RaspberryPI OS (based on debian but there is also dedicated list
>> where it could be answered more efficiently)
>
> I have my doubts that there is an active RPi list on which such a
> question could be answered. But it is, after all, Samba, and you've
> already seen the smb.conf.

I don't because I am subscribed there - it is hosted on
eternal-september.org. The group is comp.sys.raspberry-pi
It could be also another one somewhere else. I do not guarantee this is the
only one.

>> 2. The actual user plugging the external disk is paulf but disk mounts as
>> default user pi
>
> Not true. The disk mounts automatically on startup. I don't manually
> mount this disk.
What happens if you unmount, unplug and plug again + restart samba

>> 3. Who knows how is exactly samba pre-configured
>
> I already posted the smb.conf file.

I saw, but you never shared parts from the log file, hence we are looking in
the crystal ball here.
I mentioned I do not know about the guest permissions. I just remember that
there was something regarding mapping unknown users to nobody etc. Who
knows how it works in raspberry - they customize a lot there.
Respectively when I use the Samba as domain controller here it works
perfectly well including directories, printers and permissions.
Unfortunately I can't help with the guest OK. If you share relevant
portions from the log, somebody could come up with something more useful.