Re: Emergency mode when root account locked

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020, 8:16 AM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:03:55PM +0000, Brian wrote:

> > > Is this supposed to be ironic? I really can't tell.
> >

> > There was a detailed discussion here about sudo being a security issue
> > on our systems. It appears to be default in debian 10, so most of us get
> > it as default. I looked at replacing sudo.
>
> sudo is set up by default by the installer? You're sure?
>
> --
> Brian.

There is a question as to whether you want to set up a root account, I think.
If you choose not to, then you get a normal user account.

If you choose to set up a root user:
If you do _not_ set a root password, then the first user you set up is set up
with sudo. In Ubuntu, this is the default behaviour, for example.

I use Ubuntu (as well as "pure Debian").  When I install Ubuntu, it does not even give an  *option*  for a Root Password. The Username that you give during Install goes into the Sudoers list (but not Users defined later).  Since I have my own method of System Administration, one of the first things I do, after the first Reboot is "sudo passwd root" and, after completion, I am a happy camper.

I'll now need to go and check a standard (as distinct from an expert install)

I am setting up a Virtual Bullseye Cinnamon system later today.  I will, also use "standard install".  Between us, we should be able to answer followup questions.

All the very best,

Andy C

Thanks!

Kenneth Parker