Re: SanDisk USB stick problem

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 10:17:41 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mi, 09 dec 20, 15:23:44, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious about this because I can't imagine that FUSE performance is
> > as good as native, so why would automounters pay the performance
> > penalty of FUSE when native mounting would seem easy enough to do?
>
> The ntfs-3g developers claim there is no significant penalty. Testing
> their claims would be difficult though, considering the kernel driver
> has limited functionality.

I'm certainly not going to dispute the ntfs-3g developers, but I had
had in mind these comments of Linus Torvald that I had just come across:

"People who think that userspace filesystems are realistic for anything
but toys are just misguided.

fuse works fine if the thing being exported is some random low-use
interface to a fundamentally slow device. But for something like your
root filesystem? Nope. Not going to happen."

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/9/462

Linus sometimes exaggerates, and in any event, external USB storage
devices are (generally) somewhere in between "your root filesystem" and
"some random low-use ..."

A quick search turns up this:

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/fast17/fast17-vangoor.pdf

which I haven't had a chance to read.