Re: Permissions on NFS mounts

On Jo, 10 dec 20, 09:10:42, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> This brings up an interesting thought. In the situation where you align
> user IDs across a number of machines for ths purpose, you'll inevitably
> end up with situations where users are created on some of the machines
> only for the purpose of keeping the IDs in synch so they can all play
> nice with the NFS.

adduser --uid 1234 <username>

As far as I know the user creation step can be skipped in the Debian
Installer, if for any reason uid 1000 is to remain unallocated,
otherwise just use debootstrap/mmdebstrap instead.

> Left alone, having unneeded users on a given machine could be a
> security threat, at least in the sense that it provides a greater than
> necessary attackable surface area. What can be done about that?
> Obviously one thing would be setting the shell to /dev/null in the
> password file of those machines that don't need a given user, to
> prevent interactive logins. What else could be done? Is there a way to
> put an account "beyond use", in any way including su, sudo etc, while
> still having the machine recognise the user for being a user and
> therefore not messing up the mapping of user IDs on shared resources
> like NFS? In other words, create the sense of "yes this user exists,
> but they are not welcome here"?

passwd -l/--lock <username>

See 'man passwd' for details, limitations and alternatives.

Kind regards,
Andrei