Re: VPN ideas

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 12:03:33 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 08 dec 20, 17:37:43, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 17:00:44 -0500
> > Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:

> > > If something is free, you aren't the customer, you are the product.
>
> I'd have a reasonable degree of trust in ProtonVPN.
>
> > A fair point, but an overstatement insofar as you're implying that one
> > *cannot rely* upon a free VPN service. Many people are willing to rely
> > upon free services for at least some of their online activity. After
> > all, Andrei himself is using Gmail (as am I).
>
> I'm using Gmail to post to public mailing lists or similar. All private
> correspondence currently goes to a ProtonMail account.

Of course. My point just was that most people are willing to put up
with "being the product" when they consider the cost of "being the
product" to be low ;)

As to ProtonMail, as we've discussed in the past, I'm sort of tempted,
but I'm not willing to give up standards based email, nor am I that
interested in running their proprietary (albeit apparently GPL?) bridge
application.

> I still have my contacts on Gmail, because of the convenient integration
> with Android, though I'd like to migrate those away as well at some
> point.

At this point, I pretty much use Gmail only for public list traffic
(although my other email accounts are also with (other) free services).
I keep thinging I really should go with either one of the inexpensive,
dedicated email providers (like Newsguy that John Hasler
often recommends) or a self-hosting solution (but I'm scared of the
apparently enormous hassle necessary to ensure reliable delivery, etc.).

Celejar