Re: Web-bot tarpit aka spider trap (was: swamp rat bots Q)

On 12/6/20 8:26 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 06 December 2020 16:40:37 Charles Curley wrote:

On Sun, 06 Dec 2020 13:15:50 -0600

"Martin McCormick" <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:
	I found our old dial-up modem in a box of odds and ends 2
years ago and wondered if it could read callerID tones sent after
the first ring.  It can so I started on a perl program that
initializes the modem for callerID and then compares the strings
received with a pair of files, one of which is called scum and
contains callerID name packets of folks we don't want to talk to.
The other is called good and looks for names of friends or anyone
else we like hearing from.  It is actually scanned first and
causes the program to abort.
You wouldn't care to make this software available, would you?

Consider adding an option to send a fax tone instead. :-)
Make that 2 options, if a fax tone gets an answer, send a fax advising
them that sorry, but spammers have used up all the machine paper.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
FYI, I have a phone on my internet line, which I pay for with the internet,
and also a regular Verizon phone. The internet phone lets me call
anywhere in the US or Canada for no extra charge, but it is set not
to ring. The same line connects to my all-in-one printer-scanner-fax.
I think the spammers get the message--I'm not noticing much of
their attempts on that line, and none of them ever left me a fax!
(I have a smart answering machine on the Verizon line. Nothing gets
thru there either. But I have to pay for caller-ID.)
--doug