Re: i386 debian to 64bit intel

> A word of warning for anyone else who wishes to try this: while running
> an amd64 kernel on an i386 architecture installation is supported by
> Debian, it may not be supported by whatever third-party applications
> you're running.  Some applications use the kernel's reported architecture
> to decide whether they should attempt to run a 64-bit or a 32-bit
> version of their programs -- and if the kernel mismatches the Debian
> architecture, they may try the wrong one.

Indeed, I've found some such situations.  Not so much for running
applications, but rather when building them (where the configure script
looks at "the architecture" and then assume pointers will be 64bit long).

This said, I've been running such "hybrid" systems for the last 15 years
or so and over the years these problems have largely disappeared (there
were also several other problems where the 64bit kernel wouldn't provide
support for some particular operations to 32bit applications).

        Stefan