Re: Installation instructions.

On Mi, 02 dec 20, 12:10:33, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> > > https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.en.html#boot-initrd
> >
> > Quoting paragraphs 2 and 3 from your link above ...
> >
> > Alternatively, if you intend to keep an existing partition on the hard
> > drive unchanged during the install, you can download the
> > hd-media/initrd.gz file and its kernel, as well as copy a CD (or DVD)
> > iso to the drive (make sure the file is named ending in .iso). The
> > installer can then boot from the drive and install from the CD/DVD
> > image, without needing the network.
>
> > 1) Which of the above are you attempting? Paragraph 2 or paragraph 3?
>
> 3.
>
> >     Please describe what is on the hard drive before the installation, ...
>
> Before the installation, the HDD can have any information at all. It
> can be new, fresh from the factory.  It can be an old drive with a
> bootable MS Windows system.  Any information be overwritten or
> dereferenced  by steps below.

Write one of these images to the hard disk (cp, dd, etc.), boot and
install.

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/gtk/mini.iso

(note the 'gtk' in the path for the second image)

As far as I recall (it's been a while) these particular images (are the
only ones that) can be used to install Debian to the block device used
for booting.

It may be that this is not documented anywhere except in some blog post
of Joey Hess when he made this particular change.

> > 2) Given that choice (para 2 or 3), where did you get the vmlinuz and
> > initrd.gz you are using?
>
> vmlinuz and initrd.gz are in the .iso.  No need to retrieve again.

You are assuming all of the vmlinuz and initrd.gz files are identical,
but there is a reason for the guide to point to specific files.

In case this is not clear please do suggest wording improvements, e.g.
via a bug of apropiate severity against 'installation-guide'.

Kind regards,
Andrei