Re: Advice on laptop with USB-C port and USB-Type C Multipoint Adapter (and VGA)

On Sb, 28 nov 20, 09:07:14, Rh Kramer wrote:
> Advice on laptop with USB-C port and USB-Type C Multipoint Adapter
>
> Background: a few months ago, I bought a generic / inexpensive USB-Type C
> Multipoint Adapter (with VGA output) and around the same time ordered a laptop
> that advertised a USB-C port.  When I received the laptop, I saw that it did
> not have the USB-C port, so I returned it.  I kept the USB-Type C Multipoint
> Adapter.  I also started digging into the USB-Type C port and learned that
> there are several variations -- some that support video and some that do not.

It's useful to remember that Type C refers only to the shape of a
connector, whereas USB (in it's various versions) refers to a bus that
can be used to connect various external devices to a computer.

The Type C connector may or may not be used for (a combination of) USB
(usually 3.0 or higher) _and/or_ power delivery _and/or_ *digital*
display output (and possibly more I don't know about).

> (I guess a key thing is USB-C "alternate mode" which, iiuc, under some
> variations, can support video -- I strongly suspect that not all
> implementations of alternate-mode support video, and even less so, all
> variations of video.)

Regarding video output you have to consider that VGA is analog whereas
DisplayPort and HDMI are digital.

As far as I understand, a USB to VGA adapter is basically just a video
card that just happens to connect via USB (instead of PCI-E or so),
while USB to HDMI (or DisplayPort) adapters could be either an external
video adaptor connected via USB or using "alternate mode" to route the
digital video signal directly from the internal video adapter to the
display (only possible with a Type C connector).

Hope this helps,
Andrei