Advice on laptop with USB-C port and USB-Type C Multipoint Adapter (and VGA)

Advice on laptop with USB-C port and USB-Type C Multipoint Adapter

Background: a few months ago, I bought a generic / inexpensive USB-Type C
Multipoint Adapter (with VGA output) and around the same time ordered a laptop
that advertised a USB-C port.  When I received the laptop, I saw that it did
not have the USB-C port, so I returned it.  I kept the USB-Type C Multipoint
Adapter.  I also started digging into the USB-Type C port and learned that
there are several variations -- some that support video and some that do not.

(I guess a key thing is USB-C "alternate mode" which, iiuc, under some
variations, can support video -- I strongly suspect that not all
implementations of alternate-mode support video, and even less so, all
variations of video.)

Yesterday, I almost bought a HP Pavilion Laptop model 15z-eh000, but was
uncertain it would work the way I wanted, and today the price has gone back up
by $120, so I'm not anxious to buy it atm.  But, I want to understand more  so
that when I find a laptop that I want to buy I can confirm that it meets my
needs.

My needs:

   * first, I want to hook it up to my KVM switch (with two other computers),
install Buster on it (and C++ version 20 (or whatever they call it)) and use
it for development of a lexer for Scintilla.

   * second, as a  laptop, I expect on rare occasions to disconnect it from my
KVM switch to use it portably

Other information:

The KVM switch has VGA input and output, and the Multipoint adapter has USB-C
input and, among other things, a VGA output (and RJ-45  for Ethernet, bbut no
HDMI, which would be irrelevant anyway in view of the KVM switch and my VGA
monitor).

Below I quote some information from various web pages I looked at with respect
to the HP 15z-eh000, and here is the "specification" for the (2) USB-C ports:

"1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery,
DisplayPort™ 1.4, HDMI 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)(with AMD Athlon™ Gold
processor);"

So, (some of) my questions:

Would that laptop work with Buster and my Multiport adapter with VGA adapter?

Does Buster support DisplayPort?  (Do I need to have DisplayPort supported?)

If I had a multiport adapter with HDMI output would it work with that laptop?
(Not that that would work with my KVM switch, but it provides a little extra
information to me, and I could consider an HDMI to VGA adapter in the
"chain".)

Thanks for any input!  Extra credit if you can claim experience with actual
devices ;-)

Some web page resources:

https://laptoping.com/specs/product/hp-15z-eh000/
`
Video ports 	Video out via USB-C
'

https://store.hp.com/us/en/slp/black-friday-sale?source=aw&subacctid=166580&subacctname=Slickdeals&adcampaigngroup=111627&awc=7168_1606504159_c1fb74e828bbeb9317783c20cd6c719b&jumpid=af_gen_nc_ns&utm_medium=af&utm_source=aw&utm_campaign=Slickdeals

HP Pavilion Laptop - 15z-eh000 touch optional
`
External I/O Ports
1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery,
DisplayPort™ 1.4, HDMI 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge)(with AMD Athlon™ Gold
processor); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power
Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HDMI 2.0, HP Sleep and Charge)(with AMD Ryzen™
3/5/7 processor); 1 headphone/microphone combo
[19]