Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d - Does this avoid the hijack?

On Thu 26 Nov 2020 at 08:52:30 (+0000), mick crane wrote:
> On 2020-11-26 03:57, David Wright wrote:
> <snipped>
> > What sort of rejections and/or bounces have you had?
>
> It showed up that mails to getmail list that uses Exim were refused as
> unsubscribed whereas before was OK.

I take it that was late last year when your Envelope-from appears to
have changed.

> I "think" I then subscribed with noctilucent@sky.com which worked for
> a bit but then from list to me bounced.

Is noctilucent@sky.com an email address that you can/do use, or
is it just an account with Sky?

> "Remote host said: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons"

Was that response from a List → you-at-Sky message? If so, shouldn't
you ask Sky, particular if you have had success before with sending to
this address (as you wrote "worked for a bit").

> using Sky/Yahoo SMTP it seems to add "Return-Path:" as being
> noctilucent@sky.com.

That should indicate that you used noctilucent@sky.com as your
Envelope-from. Was this a concious decision, or did you just
find it to be so? That setting might be obligatory when using
their SMTP server. (For example, it is with my ISP's.)

> Then subscribed to getmail list "from" gmail and other hosted domain
> address
> and welcomed as subscribed as "noctilucent@sky.com".

I don't know what any of these organisations use to determine the
"subscribed address". Rather than subscribing by sending an email
(which might contain other, confusing addresses) you can usually
find a web page with a subscription box. Typically, the list then
sends an email to the address you typed, as a challenge for you
to respond to, proving that the address is correct and the
subscription desired. If you ignore it, then the subscription
gets cancelled and you can have another go.

> I only know enough about this stuff to get it working and then
> promptly forget.

Yeah—that's not usually a recipe for success.

> Unsure of the etiquette of using other SMTP servers.

Obviously for you to be able to use some random SMTP server, you'd
need some sort of credentials for authorisation/authentication, as
well as being able to connect to the appropriate ports through your
ISP (which is not guaranteed).

If you've logged into some webmail system to read your emails,
it's likely that they use those login credentials to allow you
to send as well (subject to their T&C).

> This is all using local, not the newest, roundcube for reading/sending.

I've not used roundcube. I take it that "using local" means that
you've got something like apache running on your own machine (rather
than using a web service provided by some website). In which case,
you've probably had to set up some hostnames, ports, and credentials
for your ISP's POP and SMTP servers.

I don't know whether any of this helps with whatever problems you've
been having.

Cheers,
David.