Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d - Does this avoid the hijack?

On 2020-11-23 12:19, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 23 nov 20, 14:27:36, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
So does htis get a new subject in the list?

Good afternon All

I was interested to read that Flo, the OP, uses separate mail
collection, sendmail and thunderbird. Some of the replies sound like
this is a common practice.

What are the advantages of this set of processes over letting tbird do
it all? - or any other client for that matter?

It makes it easier to switch between different e-mail clients if the
sending and/or receiving is handled externally, e.g. one might use a
graphical e-mail client in general and a text mode client occasionally.

Such a setup also typically uses standard locations for the storage (as
opposed to e-mail client specific), which makes it easier to add more
functionality (e.g. serve local e-mail via IMAP) or replace individual
components.

As I can make out if you try to do the useful stuff on your home network
like having Dovecot doing your mail it is really a bodge if you are not advertising those services on the internet. I am I suppose in the domain of Sky who provide my wired connection so I use sky/yahoo SMTP server as part of service but they add to outgoing email "Reply-Path" being my Sky user account in the headers which seems to be confusing exim email lists and results in rejected or bounced emails recently. I'd like to sort it out to avoid that if I knew what they were doing. I like things as they are when it is working and really, really don't want to go the whole hog of advertising email services. I think it is some relatively new thing where they are double authenticating or something but ideally I don't know why SMTP server does just pass message along and not add items to the header except they received it and passed it along to the recipient.

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31