Re: Instructions for command line usage of WiFi.

On Friday 27 November 2020 11:51:49 peter@easthope.ca wrote:

> From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:30:04 +0300
>
> > This one works for me:
> >
> > $ lspci  | grep Wireless
> > 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)
> >
> > It's a mini-PCI card, inserted in PCI-X adapter.
>
> OK, thanks.  A USB TP-Link here is used with a laptop.  For a desktop
> system, a PCI-X adapter might perform better than a USB.  Will see
> what is available.
>
> > It would be illegal in US, and you have to thank FCC for that - [1].
> > Applies to WiFi cards too.
> > [1] https://hackaday.com/2016/02/26/fcc-locks-down-router-firmware/
>
> Interesting article about commercial products.
>
> I imagined FPGA based hardware assembled by J. Doe on the kitchen
> table.  It would need to be licensed similar to amateur radio? But
> available licenses don't cover the WiFi band? Wouldn't it be similar
> to licensing outdoor Christmas lights because they radiate a week EM
> field?  Isn't radiated power below some level exempted?
>
> Does the FCC (Industry Canada) drive around every residential
> neighbourhood and knock on every door where a field is detected and
> ask to verify that it is generated by licensed equipment?  Seems
> unrealistic.
>
> Regards,                                  ... P.

It could happen. My only interfacing with such an FCC inspector consisted
of educating him on the finer points of the violation citation he had on
his clipboard, which resulted in his tearing up the cite, I knew far
more about it than he did, and while the FCC truck was fairly well
equipt with monitoring gear, the monitor I was going by for compliance,
which I pointed to in my rack, sold for about $10G's more than the
similar purpose unit his truck was setup with. Since his was out of
calibration date, he left saying that it would get sent in for recal,
and if it was good, he would be back. Since it was only about 125 miles
to his home office in Grand Island Nebraska I expected to see him in
about 8 weeks.  Never showed up again.  At the time I was managing a
330kw ERP educational site on channel 19 for the Nebraska ETV
Commission. Needless to say that klystron based tech has now been
replaced by more efficient means of generating high power UHF tv
signals.  A lot has happened to the technology in the 50+ years since.

That station was at the time, Wayne county public powers biggest
customer. Nominal power drain was about 250kwh an hour for around 17.5
hours a day.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis