Re: NTFS partitions can't be mounted

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 22:30:02 +0100 Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>>> That seems highly unlikely: it's a tiny number of users, and not
>>> only they're not a threat but annoying them won't bring any benefit
>>> to MS.
>>
>> This is a pattern which I like to call "emergent evil". Most likely
>> nobody does it on purpose, yet it happens often enough to annoy
>> competing ecosystems. Magic!
>
> NTFS has been NTFS since the 90s, while Linux has had ext2, ext3,
> ext4, Reiser among other filesystems. Is it not likely that 'NTFS'
> has really been a similar parade of different filesystems with each
> version of Windows retaining the code to read previous versions?
> Occam's Razor?

In situations like this, I think not of Occam's, but of Hanlon's Razor:

    Never attribute to malice that which can
    be adequately explained by stupidity.

At this point, though, a little voice in the back of my mind says,
"But Microsoft isn't stupid!"

This isn't just paranoia, nor is it the first time.  For instance,
when Samba was first developed to allow non-Windows machines to
access Windows file shares, Microsoft changed their software to
deliberately send an invalid command.  If the error message returned
wasn't worded exactly the way they expected, they would refuse to
work.  Thanks to the open source community, a Samba patch was issued
within a few days so that it would spoof the expected response.

--
cgibbs@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)