Re: NTFS partitions can't be mounted

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 09:56:06PM -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 22:30:02 +0100 Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

[...]

> >> This is a pattern which I like to call "emergent evil". Most likely
> >> nobody does it on purpose, yet it happens often enough to annoy
> >> competing ecosystems. Magic!
> >
> > NTFS has been NTFS since the 90s, while Linux has had ext2, ext3,
> > ext4, Reiser among other filesystems. Is it not likely that 'NTFS'
> > has really been a similar parade of different filesystems with each
> > version of Windows retaining the code to read previous versions?
> > Occam's Razor?
>
> In situations like this, I think not of Occam's, but of Hanlon's Razor:

It is likely that the OP was really thinking Occam's razor, not Hanlon's.

>     Never attribute to malice that which can
>     be adequately explained by stupidity.
>
> At this point, though, a little voice in the back of my mind says,
> "But Microsoft isn't stupid!"

For those cases I have "Bertie's Bastard", which is a cross-over of
Hanlon's Razor and Clarke's Third Law:

  "Any sufficiently advanced malice is indistiguishable
   from stupidity"

Profuse apologies to Robert J. Hanlon and sublime Arthur C. Clarke.

Cheers
 - t