Re: NTFS partitions can't be mounted [SOLVED]

Hello!

> john doe: Is "fastboot" disabled in Windows or in the bios?

Windows 10 -> Control Panel -> Power Control -> disable fast startup. As I found in a few posts and publications, Windows stores some data on the disks to load faster the next time and sets a flag to deny access or mount to ensure it remains there for the next startup. In the BIOS I disabled SECURE BOOT to allow boot from USB (installation) and later for Linux (Debian).

> Joe:
> I had that happen the other day, booted to Windows and it did indeed
> claim something was wrong with the partition and offered to fix it.
> After that, I was back to rw mounting on Linux. It has only happened
> once in about 18 months of dual booting. There is no problem here with
> disc naming, as one drive is sda and the other is mmc....
> ... I don't know how it happened ...
> The Wanderer:
> Modern Windows versions have a quirk that, in a default configuration,
> "Shut Down" doesn't actually shut all the way down
> John Boxall:
> You are running into Windows "hibernation" that leaves the disks in an
> "unclean" state when shut down

Well, by 1:30am I found some posts about this problem. It was solved in the Windows control panel at POWER CONTROL configuration section... Just had to turn of the FAST STARTUP (hibernation turn off is not required unless disabling fast startup does not work) XD

I've read all your answers and all of them are valid, turn off the hibernation (although it is not necessary if the fast startup is disabled) or disabling it manually on a shell window by command line... The control panel option is the fastest way, just a few seconds... but as I said, all of your solutions work...

> Linux-fan:
> Which parts went onto the SSD and which onto the HDD in the end?
> Which of the two systems do you intend to use more often?
> Which of the two systems will run computation-intensive (CPU, RAM, GPU)
> applications?

HDD:
sda1-sda4 Windows 10 (100Gb+)
sda5-sda7 Debian 10 (100Gb+)
sda8 Data partition (700Gb NTFS)

SDD:
sdb1 Data partition (128Gb NTFS)

My primary OS is Linux, rarely I use Windows but I require a native installation to run some programs with direct access to the hardware... Most programs can be run into a VirtualBox machine but some games will not work and a few programs would run better directly on the computer. The most hungry programs (processor and memory) are in Linux, basically KDEnlive and OBS, except for a few games and programs in Windows (not commonly used but they are available when I need them).

Thanks all of you (and the other people who helped me along the installation and configuration) for your help and comments. My Windows 10 / Debian 10 box is up and running. Once everything was working and tuned up I made a Clonezilla backup of all partitions, so when one of the systems gets saturated or damaged I just need to restore the corresponding boot partition or the whole system partitions with the system already installed and configured, since my work and files are stored in the external data partitions I have not to make or restore a backup...