Re: NTFS partitions can't be mounted [SOLVED]

Kanito 73 writes:

[...]

> Linux-fan:
> Which parts went onto the SSD and which onto the HDD in the end?
> Which of the two systems do you intend to use more often?
> Which of the two systems will run computation-intensive (CPU, RAM, GPU)
> applications?

HDD:
sda1-sda4 Windows 10 (100Gb+)
sda5-sda7 Debian 10 (100Gb+)
sda8 Data partition (700Gb NTFS)

SDD:
sdb1 Data partition (128Gb NTFS)

Thanks for sharing!

My primary OS is Linux, rarely I use Windows but I require a native installation to run some programs with direct access to the hardware... Most programs can be run into a VirtualBox machine but some games will not work and a few programs would run better directly on the computer. The most hungry programs (processor and memory) are in Linux, basically KDEnlive and OBS, except for a few games and programs in Windows (not commonly used but they are available when I need them).

Thanks all of you (and the other people who helped me along the installation and configuration) for your help and comments. My Windows 10 / Debian 10 box is up and running. Once everything was working and tuned up I made a Clonezilla backup of all partitions, so when one of the systems gets saturated or damaged I just need to restore the corresponding boot partition or the whole system partitions with the system already installed and configured, since my work and files are stored in the external data partitions I have not to make or restore a backup...

[...]

OK. I still wonder wheter NTFS is the best file system to use under the condition that it is mainly Linux with some Windows use? What do you do against the mangled Unix permissions on NTFS drives?

Usually, in such a scenario of mostly Linux, I'd recommend using two data partitions, one "main" data partition (e.g. 500 GiB) with ext4 and one "exchange" data partition (e.g. 200 GiB NTFS) for data explicitly shared with Windows. This way, most Windows malware will not access or damage all of the data but just the parts shared with Windows. And, the Linux applications will not incur the problems arising from wrong permissions.

In case you are interested in some experimentation, I suggest trying another virtualization software on Linux (e.g. you used VirtualBox so how about virt- manager + KVM?) Maybe another virtualization software can make your hardware accessible to guest (Windows) systems in a way that it performs well. USB redirection works quite well for me on virt-manager + KVM on Debian 10. PCIe redirection not so much (maybe I tried to advanced things with too old hardware :) ).

There does not seem to be a convincing solution for gaming on Linux, though. A few years ago, the only virtual machine solution that could provide some (reduced, but OK for me) 3D gaming performance for Windows VMs was VMWare. I personally like `playonlinux` (avoids the virtualization and "real" Windows altogether), but not all games will run with it.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö