Re: NTFS partitions can't be mounted

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 03:34:40 +0000
Kanito 73 <kanito73@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Al the previous issues I published are now solved. Relative to the
> RTL8821CE, I searched for a module rtl8821ce.ko but the generated
> module was just 8821ce.ko so when I loaded the only RTL*
> (rtl8821ae.ko) the right 8821ce.ko was already loaded and I thought
> it was the rtl8821ae activating my wifi. [SOLVED]
>
> Now I have another BIG problem.  I installed both Windows10 (version
> OCTOBER 2020) and Debian 10.0.6 in dual boot and left a large NTFS
> partition for data on the primary disk (HDD) and the whole secondary
> disk (SDD) also as a unique NTFS partition.
>
> Well, I installed Windows, then Installed Linux and tested the NTFS
> partitions from Linux (Debian) mounting and copying some files
> successfully. After rebooting with Windows those partitions were not
> accessible from Linux anymore. If they are mounted at boot time via
> /etc/fstab it silently mounts them as "ro" (read only) although from
> time to time they are mounted ocasionally as "rw" but as soon as I
> try to write or copy there they are turned to "ro". If I mount
> manually with the mount command, they are also mounted as "ro"
> showing a message indicating that the NTFS partition was unmounted
> uncleanly (and to fix with Windows) or that it is locked by windows
> to perform a check or installation of something or an update BUT THEY
> ARE CLEAN EMPTY PARTITIONS.
>
> What can I do? At this moment I am formating the 700Gb HDD partition
> and just formated the 128Gb SDD from Windows with the full format
> (not quick format) to see if there is a physical error on the disks.
> The SDD was fully formated with no errors. The HDD partition
> currently at 80% has not showed errors... So I think that Windows 10
> locks the partitions or something weird is going on.
>
> If not solved I will clear the entire disks and install only Debian
> and run Windoze on VirtualBox, I don't want since there are some
> games that I want to play on native Windows but if it does not work
> will have to remove it from the computer. CHKDSK.EXE reports no
> errors when I run it on such partitions.
>
> THEORIES
> -------------------
> - Disk geometry may be interpreted different in Windows and Linux so
> it can cause problems. Windows partitions were created by Windows and
> Debian partitions were created by Linux.
> - It may be related to some UEFI configuration (I only disabled
> secure boot and disk legacy to use UEFI) blocking or interferring
> - A few times, Linux has swapped the disk devices. First disk (sda)
> is HDD and second disk (sdb) is SDD, but two or three times when I
> checked the partitions with fdisk (only see the partition types and
> numbers) HDD was sdb and SDD was sda, and after reboot they were
> again HDD:sda SDD:sdb... Is it a Linux problem or a UEFI problem or
> WTF? It is WEIRD, never have seen something like that...
>
> Damn Windows it is making me cry blood but I need it for some games
> [...]

I had that happen the other day, booted to Windows and it did indeed
claim something was wrong with the partition and offered to fix it.
After that, I was back to rw mounting on Linux. It has only happened
once in about 18 months of dual booting. There is no problem here with
disc naming, as one drive is sda and the other is mmc....

I don't know how it happened, as I don't use fast boot on Windows (as a
different OS is used most of the time) and there was no unexpected
shutdown with either OS. I use the shared partition quite a lot, as my
VeraCrypt file lives on it, and it is always mounted when Linux runs on
the machine.

--
Joe