Re: RTL8821CE does not load automatically at boot time

Le mardi 24 novembre 2020 à 19:10:06 UTC+1, Alexander V. Makartsev a écrit :

> Is there a reason for using an external driver? Kernel module for your NIC is already provided by stable kernel image. You've probably just missing a firmware. [1]
> Have you tried to install "firmware-realtek" package from non-free section of official Debian "buster" or "buster-backports" repo?
>

> [1] https://packages.debian.org/buster/firmware-realtek

Hello,

RTL8821AE and RT8821CE are two different chips, albeit with similar features, the latter improves upon the former:
 https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8821ae
 https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8821ce

there is a RTL8821AE branch in the mainline kernel source tree and at least up to 5.8, there is none for RTL8821CE.

I have had a RTL8821CE based card in my laptop (since replaced by an Intel AX200) and was building its driver from the above mentionned site (Pinho): I don't remember the module being rtl8821ae instead of rtl8821ce (but perhaps have I forgotten)