Re: Installing Debian 10 from flash drive [NO network]

Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
> > I've copied (using dd) the .iso of Debian 10's DVD1 to a USB flash drive.

> I attempted to install gparted using Synaptic.
> The message received was:
> "Please insert the disk labeled:
>  Debian GNU/Linux10.0.0_Buster_-Official amd64 DVD

If i search "gparted" by
  https://cdimage-search.debian.org/
it says

  3. gparted_0.32.0-2_amd64.deb appears in:
    debian-10.6.0-amd64-DVD-1 (list.gz | jigdo | iso)

So it is supposed to be on the USB flash drive.
How about writing an entry in
  /etc/apt/sources.list
for the mount point of your USB drive ?

  deb file:...path... buster main

I understand that the path after "file:" should point to the directory with
subdirectories ./dist and ./pool . That would be the root directory of
the mounted ISO on the stick.
Assumed that the USB drive is mounted at /mnt/iso i'd try:

  deb file:/mnt/iso buster main

If all works well, the request for DVD-1 should not appear any more.
A package from a DVD with higher number will pose the problem again.
In this case i would advise one of the ISOs "STICK16GB-1", "BD-1",
"DLBD-1" depending on how much the USB drive can take.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas