Re: Installing Debian 10 from flash drive [NO network]

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:11:18 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 11/20/2020 10:56 AM, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 09:35:04 -0600
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I attempted to install gparted using Synaptic.
> >> The message received was:
> >>
> >> "Please insert the disk labeled:
> >> Debian GNU/Linux10.0.0_Buster_-Official amd64 DVD
> >> Binary-120190706-10:24
> >> in drive /media/cdrom/"
> >>
> >> What is the solution?
> >
> > As of my experience, th only solution is this:
> >
> > Insert the flash.
> > # mkdir /media/usb0
> > # mount /dev/sdb /media/usb0 # (replace sdb with device node of your
> > flash)
> > # rm /media/cdrom
> > # ln -s usb0 /media/cdrom
> > # apt-get update
> > # apt-get install gparted
>
> That appears to be a more rigorously correct rendition of what I
> partially recalled. I remembered only the "mount" command was part of it.

The essential fact is that APT always looks any disk in /media/cdrom.
If you want to add another disk, it's possible, but first you have to
mount it somewhere and make /media/cdrom point to that dir. The same
trick you use when you are asked to insert another disk during
install/upgrade packages.