Re: An old box running Debian 8

On Sun 15 Nov 2020 at 10:41:55 (+0200), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 14 nov 20, 16:36:03, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> > On 11/13/20 9:29 PM, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > > I would have thought that Debian has made kernel testing just about as
> > > easy as they can since:
> > > jessie  installs with 3.16 but 4.9  is also available,
> > > stretch installs with 4.9  but 4.19 is also available,
> > > buster  installs with 4.19
> > > so there's full overlap. (I've not looked at backports.)
> >
> > That's actually what I also thought about.
> >
> > Btw, when you say 'installs', do you mean a fresh installation only, or it
> > includes a 'forced' kernel update during a distribution upgrade? My old box
> > was installed for the first time in squeeze, then upgraded to wheezy, then
> > to jessie.

By "installs with", I meant the former, ie the version supplied with
the debian-installer. Once you're happy with that version, it's
possible to install the newer version, leaving the old one as a
fallback (assuming the usual things like enough room in /boot, etc).

> It depends on whether you have the corresponding linux-image-<sub-arch>
> package installed or not.

I'm not sure what difference this would make. Looking at all
the linux-image-X86* packages in stretch, they all depend on
linux-image-4.9-* packages.

One minor point: if linux-image-586/linux-image-3.16.0-10-586
is your current kernel version, linux-image-4.9-686 is the
next kernel to try. (For some reason, there was never a non-PAE
version of 3.16.0-*-686 packaged.)

So AFAICT, to upgrade to my "also available" kernels above, you
have to specifically install them. I hesitate to use the term
"force" because that has different connotations for apt/dpkg.

And I wouldn't combine it with a regular distribution upgrade.
In fact, that's the whole point of my posting: to do each kernel
change "long" after a distribution upgrade and "long" before the
next one. ("Long" might be a single day of regression testing the
system to make sure you're happy that everything still works
after the change.)

So the sequence would be:

jessie with 3.16 running ok
  new kernel installation