Re: An old box running Debian 8

On Vi, 13 nov 20, 14:06:52, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 11/13/20 12:12 AM, Linux-Fan wrote:
>
> > Miroslav Skoric writes:

> > > So maybe I shall try some newer kernel only?
> >
> > If you have an easy means to do that: Yes, I would highly recommend doing
> > that.
> >

> I'll consider that kind of test (if possible at all). Need to check what
> (newer) kernels are available in Debian 8 repository. Cannot remember now
> what (if any) kernel change occurred when I upgraded 7 to 8.

Just for testing purposes you could try a jessie-backports kernel
downloaded from snapshots or even the kernel from Debian 9 (stretch).

Using a kernel from a newer release is generally less dangerous that
many other packages. Worst case one can just reboot to the previous
kernel.

Beware that LTS support for jessie ended in June 2020.

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/

That system should be upgraded to some release with security support as
soon as possible, especially since it's dealing with e-mail as far as I
understand from your other messages.

Kind regards,
Andrei