Re: An old box running Debian 8

Miroslav Skoric writes:

I have an old comp (CPU Pentium II Celeron 400 MHz, 224 MB RAM) running ham radio server in Debian 8. It works well in CLI, but very slow after starting GUI. I wonder whether it would be worth to try (if possible at all) to upgrade it to Debian 9. Any experience with such old boxes?

Misko YT7MPB

Pentium II is old indeed. Whenever using old processors, it is important to test if the new kernel will still support them.

As long as you stay on the CLI I do not expect there to be a major performance degradation from the upgrade.

I am running Debian 10 on an old laptop (Acer TravelMate 210) with 128 MiB of RAM and 700 MHz Intel Celeron (?) and it is slow even on commandline use with "heavy" applications like vim or maxima. Other tools, like sc-im run quickly enough, though...

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö