Re: Building my own packages

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:27:48PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> deloptes wrote:

[...]

> > You have to rebuild all dependencies if you rebuild one package. You simply
> > can not just build and replace a package in production environment without
> > testing it, making a backup or whatever.
>
> There lies the point which I don't completely understand yet. If I want
> to build a php or exim4 package with my own build options, to what
> extent should I also build their dependencies? And how do I name those
> packages so that they coexist with the default Debian ones?

I think deloptes went a bit overboard with this.

I'd say... it depends. If you're building a package targeted at a
specific distro suite and just change the log level, for example,
you'd be wasting your time. If, OTOH, what you're changing is some
compiler option which affects the ABI towards a library, you won't
be well advised to use the distro's binary package for said
lib. You gota re-build that dependency, no?

Between those two (extreme) examples lies our real world, full of
shades and facets, which makes our lives "interesting".

In short, you gotta know what you're doing.

If you are sitting on top of a huge heap of manure and haven't
got the time to understad, then, yes, you have to follow the
path outlined by deloptes.

I tend to leave environments of that kind sooner latter than
later: they not only treat their computers like cattle, they
tend to treat their people that way, too.

Cheers
 - t