Re: Sid random crash with no clue in log files

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 04:09:33PM +0100, Sébastien Kalt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having random crashes on my ASUS PN50 mini PC : sometimes it's while
> copying large files through network, sometimes when watching a youtube
> video, sometimes juste using LibreOffice, or going nothing ...
>
> I can't manage to have a pattern for thoses craches. Today it craches 4
> times, the last week it didn't crash.
>
> I encoded a video with 100 % CPU charge during one hour and it didn't crash.
>
> When I look at the log files, I see nothing : syslog, messages, daemon.log,
> kern.log, Xorg.0.log.old, dmesg
>
> When it crashes, the system seems to be not responding, I can move the
> mouse, but it doesn't click, and then the screen becomes blank. I need to
> shut down the mini PC pushing the power button for a long time.
>
> When I restart it, I don't see anything during the reboot (well, it's quite
> fast, so I might miss something).
>
> Do you have any suggestions to find what might be causing this ?

If the mouse still moves, I'd look first into software. Try to log
into your machine either with a Linux console (CTRL-ALT+F1 or some
other function key) or via ssh, as linux fan suggests.

Try to locate some central gui program which might be misbehaving
and kill it (gnome-panel or some such).

If it were a hardware problem, the machine would most probably
freeze completely or at least show non-repeatable symptoms.

Cheers
 - t