Re: What's going on with snapd?

On Ma, 27 oct 20, 12:05:48, Brian Vaughan wrote:
> On 10/27/2020 6:54 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > What release are you running (stable, testing, unstable, etc.)? The
> > package in stable will only receive security updates.
>
> I'm running unstable. But if I've got the dates right, some of them were
> reported before Buster became stable.
>
> I suppose my main concern here is that most of the listed bugs seem to have
> gotten no response at all, for a few years, so a framework that (I was told)
> is considered a reliable tool for daily use at Canonical seems to be badly
> broken on Debian, so there's some break  in communication, and I'm wondering
> if there's anything to be done about it.

It does happen that bugs stay in the Debian BTS for years without any
reaction from the Debian package maintainer. Within the limited time
available for Debian some might chose to work on the package instead of
replying to bugs.

As a user there are some things you can do, e.g. bug triage.

First, try to reproduce the bugs on your system (which it seems you
already did) and post a follow-up to the bug with your findings.

Then you can try to determine whether the bug is already known (and
maybe even fixed in a newer release) upstream[1], or if the bug is only
relevant for Debian (and there is nothing for upstream to fix).

Depending on that you can update the meta-data for the Debian bug to
point to the upstream bug (report one if not there already), or try to
come up with a fix (even better, a patch), as applicable.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/

Hope this helps,
Andrei