Re: The .xsession-errors problem

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 00:45, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Ma, 27 oct 20, 07:55:00, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > > Don't do anything here. The file is created fresh at each boot and is
> > > 30 lines long [...]

> > Something that you're doing, or something that was done for you, is
> > clearing that file.  Your case is not the default.  By default, that
> > file is never cleared, and just keeps growing.  Most people prune it
> > manually whenever they notice it getting bigger than they like, which
> > is usually somewhere between "once a year" and "never".

> On my system the file is rotated (renamed to .xsession-errors.old), on
> every login as far as I can tell.

> Didn't find (yet) what is doing this (using lightdm, LXDE and minimal
> Xorg).

I had a curiosity about this, because some people are reporting that they
need to manage their growing .xsession-errors file by various methods,
but I never have seen this.

I see the same behaviour as Andrei, and I also use parts of LXDE.

I investigated, guided by this teaching from Reco:

I found that the process that renames the file to .xsession-errors.old
is the binary /usr/bin/lxsession owned by the user, with the parent
process lightdm owned by root.

/usr/bin/lxsession is a component of LXDE, so this won't apply to
users of other GUI providers.

The rename occurs when the user logs in from lightdm. The filename
.xsession-errors is defined in the script file /etc/X11/Xsession