Re: Replacement Email Client

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 03:16:21PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> The ones I respond to are known to me and are legit --
> organizations, businesses, government agencies, etc. -- that I do
> business with.  To respond, I must switch to a web browser, login to
> my email account (like gmail), find that particular email, and
> enter the requested data either by keyboard, drop-down menu, buttons,
> etc., then SUBMIT it.  This happens all within the email. I never get
> forwarded to another web site. I always stay on the web mail page.

If you don't get a new page, then it was not a vanilla HTML form
submission.  Those *always* give you a new page, as defined by the
form's action field.  That's why people stopped using them.[1]

What you're describing sounds more like a Javascript button made to look
like a form submission.  Those can do *anything*.

[1]I used to read slashdot regularly, and on slashdot, the front page
had a bunch of news stories and a poll.  The poll was written as a
vanilla HTML form.  If you participated in the poll, it would send you
to a new instance of the home page, because a form *must* load a new
page.  Doing that would lose my place, showing a new set of stories,
even if I hadn't finished reading the ones on the previous instance.

At some point I wished fervently for the option to middle-click the
form submit button to open the form's action page in a new tab/window.
That never happened, obviously because web browser developers do not
have the same priorities that I have.  They've proven that many times.

Eventually it became a moot point, because I stopped reading slashdot,
and because web page designers have stopped using HTML forms.  They're
just too limiting.  It's all custom Javascript stuff now.