Re: Replacement Email Client

On Saturday 24 October 2020 19:04:00 Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Hi! All,
>
> Looking for recommendations for a lightweight email client that will
> handle HTML as well as plain text to replace Claws-Mail.  Have been
> using Claws-Mail for years and before it Sylpheed.  Claws used to have
> a basic HTML plugin renderer which was sufficient, but latest version
> does not. And I'm getting more and more important emails in HTML where
> just the plain text is insufficient to fully read the email.  That is,
> text in (or as) images contain some (or much) of the content, etc.
> Also, hate accessing email through a browser. So that option is out.
>
> Both Thunderbird and Balsa have been rejected as T'bird is a behemoth
> and no longer in development; and with Balsa, I don't want to have to
> deal with GNOME-systemd, etc. dependencies. (I don't run GNOME anyway,
> only a window manager Openbox, and use sysvinit and not systemd as
> init.)
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, kmail, as supplied NOT from KDE but from TDE. Its the older kmail
with all but one bug fixed that KDE never fixed.  That "bug" is the
number of messages it can store in a given maildir folder has the signed
32 bit limit or 32766 messages.  On a busy mailing list, it can exceed
that number of messages in a year, but I've been renaming the folders to
a subdir incorporating the year for the last 2 years and have had no
further problems.  Some of my busy and more valuable folders go back to
2002.

TDE is itself a fork of KDE-3.5, and is still under quite active
development, yet dead stable. But don't be surprised if you've not
updated for a week or so, to see synaptic pull in 100 or more updated
packages if you have the whole R14 release installed. But did I mention
stable?, this machine, while being kept up to date with all that churn,
still has a current uptime of 81 days and counting. But I'll not
recommend it on smaller machines, this is an Asus X370 mainboard with a
6 core i5, and 32 gigs of ram.

I am running TDE on two machines out of 5 here, the other machine is much
less well endowed, only a 60GB SSD, and only 2GB of dram. It runs just
fine but it only has one real job, running a 4 axis milling machine in
real time.  That it does very well. But it doesn't have a UPS so its
uptime is about 19 hours as we had a 2 second or less power failure at
2:30 AM this morning that rebooted the 3 w/o a UPS. Not long enough to
auto-start my 20kw generator.

> Thanks

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)