Re: Intel RST driver -> SSD bug ?

On 21.10.2020 22:21, A. Kapetanovic wrote:
David Christensen writes:

If you think your SSD is dying, backup your data and be sure to preserve old backups.

That's done. My laptop is quite new (2 months old), Asus.

Could you tell us exact model of your laptop?
What type of filesystem do you use?
Is it possible dataloss was a consequence for unexpected laptop freeze or shutdown or power loss or failed sleep\hibernation?
I've looked up your SSD on Samsung web site and it appears to be EoL already. As usual ASUS build their ultra modern laptops from outdated previous gen scrap parts.
And of course Samsung being all hush-hush about exact specifications for their SSD products, not even telling NAND type.
You can try to search ASUS support web site for a possible firmware update for your SSD. Not so long ago, SSDs with poorly written\tested firmwares had similar symptoms like partial data loss or worse.
There is a quite recent firmware update for your SSD (PM991), but from Dell [1] and from Lenovo [2]. I'm not really sure if it will install on ASUS product, but even its existence is a good sign.

[1] https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7mm5c&lwp=rt
[2] https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds119265

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.