Re: Running HGST's DFT utility from a flash drive

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:06:55 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> But I suspect that we now know why the DFT utility can't see it:
> because DOS can't see it, because DOS doesn't have any SATA
> support. The best that can be done is providing a virtualized
> interface, and that won't let you interrogate the disk.

Not necessarily. As you say, MS-DOS (And, I believe, Free-DOS) don't
have drivers for SATA. However, it is perfectly possible for the DFT
utility to have its own drivers built in. If I were testing hard drives
on MS-DOS <shudder!> that's what I would do.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/