Re: Running HGST's DFT utility from a flash drive

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 11:15:40 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 08:55:20 +0300
> > Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
> >
> > According to the manual, after I make the menu selection, "DFT will
> > load automatically and present you with the License Agreement as shown
> > below: ..." but this is where the thing bails and drops me to the
> > screen above.
> >
> > I poked around a bit, but was unable to get anything to run:
> >
> > 'dir' shows two files: DFT-V300.EXE and LOADDFT.EXE. The latter
> > returns: "Error: Missing parameter." The former returns:
> >
> > PKSFX (R) FAST! Self Extract Utility Version 2.50 03-01-1999
> > Copr. 1989-1999 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered Version
> > PKSFX Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off.
> >
> > Searching EXE: A:/DFT/DFT-V300.EXE
> > 	Inflating: CleanDsk.PID
> > 	Inflating: CleanMBR.PID
> > 	Inflating: DFT.EXE
> > PXSFX: (E50) Disk Full, file: *
> >
> > A:\DFT>
> >
> > I switched to disk B: 'dir' shows four files: the two in A:, and
> > CLEANDSK.PID and CLEANMBR.PID. Running DFT-v300 gives the same error
> > (after warnings about overwriting the two *.PID files), and running
> > LOADDFT also gives the same error as above.
>
> Suggestion: mount the image as a loopback on your Linux system,
> extract the DFT.EXE (the DFT-V300.EXE is almost certainly a ZIP
> file that unzip can process), and then run it in a FreeDos boot.
>
> http://www.freedos.org/

Thanks much! We're almost there (perhaps). I followed the instructions
here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flashing_BIOS_from_Linux#Using_a_FreeDOS-provided_Disk_Image_+_USB_stick_on_Linux

and made a FreeDos installer USB stick and put DFT on it. It actually
runs (although it skips the opening menu that comes up when booting the
disk image itself (via PXE or the UBCD image)), but it fails to find
any disks on the system :(. I don't know if that's a problem with
the way I'm running it, or some problem with my system configuration
(UEFI / BIOS, etc.) I tried changing the SATA controller mode from RAID
to IDE, but it didn't help.

I tried running DFT.EXE two different ways: the way you suggested, by
extracting it from DFT-V300.EXE on my Debian system and putting it
manually onto the FreeDos USB drive, and by putting DFT-V300.EXE on the
FreeDos drive and running it from within FreeDos to extract DFT.EXE. I
got the same result of no disk found both ways. Note that I'm pretty
sure that the disk is alive - I've been waiting to actually start
using it until I can run some checks on it, but it does respond
properly to S.M.A.R.T. queries.

Thanks again. Any further suggestions?

Celejar