Re: Laptop keyboard and touchpad don't work after upgrading fromlinux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64 to any later kernel

David wrote:
I suggest to also test what happens if you start the system without
using lightdm or X.

I tried this with three versions of the kernel: linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64,
linux-image-4.19.0-10-amd64, and linux-image-4.19.0-11-amd64 .

Under all three versions, the built-in keyboard worked OK when booting
into text mode.  I could log in and issue commands.

Under all three versions, I also said "cat /dev/input/mouse0" (as root),
moved my finger around on the touchpad, and got various characters on
the screen whenever I moved my finger.  So the touchpad appeared to be
working as well.

One way to do this is to boot into multi-user text mode.

I have the default configuration of sysvinit, which boots to runlevel 2
and starts everything (networking, X, etc).  /etc/init.d/lightdm does
tell me that if the word "text" is on the kernel command line, it won't
start lightdm.

This machine is configured for dual boot, so I already had grub
configured to give me a "which OS?" menu at boot time.  From that menu,
I just appended " text" to the kernel command line, and booted; that
got me into multi-user text mode.

Matt Roberds