Re: Laptop keyboard and touchpad don't work after upgrading fromlinux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64 to any later kernel

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 12:54, Matt Roberds <mroberds@att.net> wrote:
> David wrote:

> > I suggest to also test what happens if you start the system without
> > using lightdm or X.

> I tried this with three versions of the kernel: linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64,
> linux-image-4.19.0-10-amd64, and linux-image-4.19.0-11-amd64 .

> Under all three versions, the built-in keyboard worked OK when booting
> into text mode.  I could log in and issue commands.

Ok, good. I don't feel that I have much expertise in this area to contribute
anything further, so I hope other readers will contribute ideas.

But I have a couple of final (from me) suggestions that you might explore:

1) Compare xorg.log and or ~.xsession-errors between working and
non-working cases.

2) Take a look at this and surrounding posts for troubleshooting ideas:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1925437#p1925437

That discussion relates to kernel 5.* versions but maybe Debian has
applied some patches earlier.

3) That discussion suggests that X, udev and libinput might be possible
suspects that you might bug report against their Debian packages to
get troubleshooting ideas from their maintainers. Check if those
packages changed on your system recently.

4) Debian's support channels on IRC are quite good too if it suits you to
try there as well.