Re: Laptop keyboard and touchpad don't work after upgrading fromlinux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64 to any later kernel

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 11:03, Matt Roberds <mroberds@att.net> wrote:

> I think I'm experiencing a bug, but I'm not quite sure what package to
> file it against, so I am looking for advice.
>
> Short version:
>
> After upgrading from linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64 to
> linux-image-4.19.0-10-amd64 , X can't see the keyboard or touchpad on my
> laptop anymore.  Rebooting back to the -9- kernel image makes both the
> keyboard and touchpad work again.  I think I should file against the
> kernel, but I'm not quite sure which package that is.

Hi Matt

I suggest to also test what happens if you start the system
without using lightdm or X.

One way to do this is to boot into multi-user text mode.

You can do this in grub by following the instructions here:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/system-administrators-guide/kernel-module-driver-configuration/Working_with_the_GRUB_2_Boot_Loader/#sec-Making_Temporary_Changes_to_a_GRUB_2_Menu

Assuming that your system uses systemd, use the grub built-in
editor to add the below text at the end of the 'linux' line:
  systemd.unit=multi-user.target

And then boot. Let us know the results.

If the keyboard works at the text login prompt, then I doubt
that the kernel is the appropriate place to report this bug.