Re: Have Debian developers contemplated means of faster internet access, using in parallel multiple ISPs from Debian installed Lap- /Desk- tops?

Susmita/Rajib wrote:

> I am surprised at your revelations. I have been trying to have a
> breakthrough, but have been failing.
>
> My need is a little divergant from NIC teaming  from what little I
> understood after reading on the topic, after your inputs:
>
> We have multiple USB ports in our laptops/dektops, and smartphones
> with USB ports and opportunity for USB tethering and internet access
> from the smartphone's mobile Network provider using SIM cards.
>
> I wish to use two ISPs, i.e., two snartphones in USB teethering, and
> combine internet bandwidth from each of the two simultaneously.
>
> I hope that I have been able to explain myself in my post.

Packets have the following characteristics, at a minimum:

IP of the sender
port number of the sending process
IP of the destination
port number of the destination

When a network interface connects to a network, it has an IP
address assigned to it. (This can be static or dynamic; it does
not matter here.) The network will only send packets that are
destined for that IP address.

An interface connecting to network A gets an address from
network A; an interface on network B has an address from network
B.

When your computer sends out a request, it can pick either
network A or network B, but the sender IP will always match the
network that it picks, and so the answer will come in on the
same network.

You have some options:

- you can pick one network as primary and the other as
  secondary, and stop using the primary if it fails.

- you can assign some of your traffic to each network, but
  answers will come back over the same network and you do not
  get an increase in bandwidth for any given session.

- you might be able to set up a proxy on a well-connected
  machine somewhere, and send all your traffic via that proxy,
  which understands that there are two paths back to you.
  However, those two paths are likely to be of different
  latencies, and you will see many exciting problems including
  out-of-order packets, dropped packets, and repeated packets.

Does this help?

-dsr-