Re: SSD and HDD

On 2020-10-12 15:04, Weaver wrote:
On 13-10-2020 07:27, mick crane wrote:

I being a home user have pfsense on old lenovo between ISP router and
switch to PCs

I personally have apf-firewall onboard, and it's hard to beat in my
opinion, for ease of config as well as efficiency, but pfsense is
excellent and, in a separate box, very good.

another old buster lenovo doing email

Any chance of putting this onto a separate drive in your firewall box?
This way it doesn't get any further into your system and you clear up
some clutter, with a machine you can allocate to something else.

If you mean "boot into either a firewall/ router or into a e-mail workstation", then the LAN will go down when the computer is booted into the e-mail workstation.

If you mean "add a graphical desktop environment and GUI e-mail client to the firewall/router", then, no insult intended, that is a very bad idea. A firewall/ router should be running a stripped-down and hardened OS with only the software components necessary to perform its role in a network. Adding an e-mail client to such a machine would not only be difficult, it would jeopardize the network. (I attempted this with FreeNAS and it was a disaster.)

David