backups Was: SSD and HDD

mick crane wrote:

> might I ask a favour for information on accepted wisdom for this stuff ?
> I being a home user have pfsense on old lenovo between ISP router and switch
> to PCs
> another old buster lenovo doing email
> another Buster PC I do bits of programming on.
> Windows PC I play poker on and some games.
> My approach to backup has been to copy files I want to keep to external HDs
> and other disks when I remember. If something goes wrong so long as I
> remember what the config files do it's not such a big deal to start again.
> I suppose I should try to make it more formal

Only if you care about the data...

> Tips for understood accepted wisdom appreciated, like is it better if want
> to use a windows program have this Virtualization or reboot and change boot
> order or just have it on another PC.

That would depend. Is it a bother to reboot? Do you have a spare
PC? Both of those are easier and potentially faster than
virtualizing an existing system.

> And also practical method for backup
> hardware as consumer hardware only seem to have room for 2 disks at most.

So you have four or more PCs around, and don't mind having
another. Get an older machine and put two shiny new spinning
disks in it. Have the Debian installer set it up as MDADM RAID-1
-- mirrors. Use backupninja on the three Linux machines and have
them store their data on the backup machine.

Now, you could have your Windows machine back up to your backup
as well. The problem is, Windows' built-in backup system wants
to write to a network filesystem, and once it has access to that
-- well, so does nasty ransomware on your Windows system. And
that would put your whole backup set at risk.

If there's a Windows backup system that runs across sftp or
rsync-over-ssh, that would be much better. Or you can plug an
external USB disk into the Windows machine and ask it to store
the backups there directly.

-dsr-