Re: Error mounting LVM volume as root (SOLVED)

On 10/11/20 2:04 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 10/11/20 6:34 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
That did it.  I am assuming that the system was just in the process of
changing from the initrc to the actual running system?  But how do I get the boot sequence to activate the LVs automatically each time before attempting
to mount the / filesystem?
AFAIK you don't need to do anything special for that.
>From what I can tell, the initramfs (tries to) activate the swap and
root LVs, and then the rest of the boot activates them all.

If that doesn't work for you, you're going to have to dig deeper,

         Stefan

The swap LV seems to be getting activated, but not the root LV, so it keeps trying to mount an LV that is not yet activated and eventually it times out and drops me into a shell.  From there, I can manually activate all LVs and exit the shell and the boot process continues successfully.

Marc

After more Googling, I found the following page:

https://serverfault.com/questions/199185/logical-volumes-are-inactive-at-boot-time

The last answer on the page suggests a mismatch in the way the LV is named in:

    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/lvm2

and

    fstab,

namely

    '/dev/vgname/lvname' instead of '/dev/mapper/vgname-lvname'.

Both of those files used '/dev/mapper/vgname-lvname', but /etc/lilo.conf was using '/dev/vgname/lvname'.  I changed /etc/lilo.conf to use the same format as the other two, re-ran lilo, rebooted, and it worked.  I then did the same thing for my Stretch partitions, and the system booted into Stretch with the LV mounted on / with no issues.

I had not thought that there was any real difference between the two formats, and this may well be the only instance where there is, but I'm going to use the '/dev/mapper/vgname-lvname' format in all locations from here on out.

Marc