Re: Mounting /dev/shm noexec

Hi, and thank you all for the great replies!

So I added the following line to fstab:
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
and it works, just as you said it would. No second /dev/shm popping up or other
stuff I had assumed.

(I'm not sure if it now takes a second longer for the GNOME login screen to
appear after boot, but I didn't find any errors in logs and things seem to
work.)

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
>
> > Though note that it seems systemd once did use "noexec" for /dev/shm
> > but stopped 10 years ago because it broke some uses of mmap:
> >
> >    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/501c875bffaef3263ad42c32485c7fde41027175
>
> libffi also has a habit of using /dev/shm for writing temporary
> trampolines for cross-language calls, and they need to be executable.

I'll keep these in mind if I run into problems later on.

Kind regards,
Valter Jaakkola