Re: Debian 9.13 perl-5.24-1 compile from source dist/Time-HiRes Warning: No Makefile!

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 05:24:37PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 02:11:11PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > Unfortunately, none provide simple instructions for building on Debian.
>
> Is that what you want?
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

It occurs to me that you might simply want to build *other people's*
packages from source on Debian.  The way you normally do that is:

apt-get -b source pkgname

If you've already got the package source downloaded and extracted (e.g.
via apt-get source pkgname) and you've modified it and now you want to
build a package out of it, then you simply use:

dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot

inside the pkgname-version/ subdirectory.  But reading the NMG is still
not a bad idea.