Re: Debian 9.13 perl-5.24-1 compile from source dist/Time-HiRes Warning: No Makefile!

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 14:57, David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> I have installed the source code for the 'perl' package:
>
> $ apt-get source perl

Ok. You haven't yet said why though, so our suggestions can't be tailored
to your goals until you advise what those might be.

> When I attempt to compile the package per the instructions in INSTALL:

I know nothing about Perl, but having rebuilt quite a number of Debian
source packages I can offer general advice that might be useful if you
are unaware of it.

First, I wouldn't start from there. Have you done any research on "how
to build Debian packages"?If not, that would be advisable.

I haven't checked this package, but at a guess INSTALL sounds like it
will be the instructions provided with the original source, before
packaging. So those instructions could possibly be unaware of
Debian-specific requirements or modifications or methods or library
locations.

> $ cd perl-5.24.1
>
> $ sh Configure -de
> <snip>
>
> $ make

That's ignoring any Debian patches. I suggest you try the usual method
using debuild here:
  https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial#Rebuild_without_changes

There is some more information here:
  https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/debian-packaging.html#sect.rebuilding-package

All the components that you wish to build are likely to be built
during the binary
package builds.

Although it is possible that things will become complicated if the perl source
package is a large package that builds many binary packages.