Re: crc not installed but rsync using it? ...

> If you want to defend against on-disk corruption, use ZFS.

> If you want to be alerted to every change to a set of files, use
> tripwire or aide. Both are packaged for Debian.

 Really?!? Well, I would say that is only part of the story and not
even the most interesting one. I am amazed to notice at times
technical people talking like it is all so obvious that if you don't
see things that way it is because "you are 'too' paranoid".

> Your paranoia is excessive ...

 Or maybe your normalcy bias is? or both?

On 9/25/20, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 09:01:26AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Your paranoia is excessive. I have 5 machines online ATM, but they are
>>all on a local network in the 1902.168.xx.xx block, which is NOT
>>routable from the internet but are NAT'd to my net address by having
>>such a setup in a router running dd-wrt. In nearly 2 decades, no one has
>>come into my systems from the internet that I didn't give the
>>credentials to do so.
>
> You post this all the time, but it's irrelevant at best and misleading
> at worst. On a default debian system these days an external firewall is
> basically a noop because there are no services listening. The attack
> vector in modern environments is much more likely to be client exploits
> (e.g., web browser) and a perimeter firewall adds zero protection from
> that threat.
>
> And, honestly, most people who are compromised have no clue that they
> are unless someone tells them.

 Thank you! This I am relating may be considered to be totally off
topic in the Debian Linux mailing list by most people or maybe not. In
my case I have constantly noticed how they use js to own my box, from
blocking access to certain sites, to multiversing real time the sites
I go to. Just to cite an example, you google your crush or go to her
pages and what you get are pages with people with bruises on their
faces, pictures of bed bugs, bed bugs' bites on people's skin, ...
They also make single individuals and a bunch of "social
responsibility committee" kinds of people scratch their body around in
quite theatrical ways when you are on the streets:

 https://theintercept.com/2016/04/09/fbis-shared-responsibility-committees-to-identify-radicalized-muslims-raises-alarms/

 You could figure out what would happen next and who could possibly
horizontally and vertically orchestrate, coordinate, pay and legally
protect the perpetrators doing such things.

 I don't know of a single "secure"/"private" OS, software stack or any
such approaches being taken seriously. Do you?

 To me those concepts are a joke when it comes to computers. IT
companies tell people: "we care about your privacy" and "We the
people" don't even realize what a callous joke that is on so many
levels. If they care about "one's own privacy" (as they say) that
tacitly means you have no privacy whatsoever! Maybe I am too old, too
romantic. It is my understanding of that thing they used to call
"privacy", it was something only one could possibly take care of by
oneself. The only "private"/"secure" way to own you computer to me (as
I heard Linus Torvalds once say making all kinds of faces) is never
connecting it to the Internet