Re: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

On 09/27/2020 01:35 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sun 27 Sep 2020 at 13:09:02 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

On 09/27/2020 12:44 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sun 27 Sep 2020 at 11:01:42 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

I followed your suggestion, extracted the deb and copied the files to
/opt/brother/scanner.  However, sudo apt purge brscan4 I got:

comp@AbNormal:~/Downloads/Brother/tmp$ sudo  apt purge brscan4
[sudo] password for comp:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package brscan4 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive
for it.
Let's assume /opt/brother/scanner is a typo and have a glance at
dpkg(1).

    reinstreq
           A  package marked reinstreq is broken and requires reinstallation.
           These packages cannot be removed, unless forced with option
           --force-remove-reinstreq.

And later in the manual:

    remove-reinstreq: Remove a package, even if it's broken and marked to
    require reinstallation. This  may, for example, cause parts of the
    package to remain on the system, which will then be forgotten by dpkg.

We could try removing the reinstall request status from the package with

   sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq brscan4

and then have a go at

   sudo dpkg -P brscan4

Halla...bloody...ulla!  It worked!!
Splendid!

sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade worked without a burp or any warnings
or errors.

If you ever need any molecular modeling done give me a hollar. That I can do
without nearly as many problems.
Npthing to do with your issue, but what is your Brother model?

Happy to let you know:

DCP-L2550DW

I found out during the recent travail that Brother doesn't support Linux.

I'm quite pleased with the printer. It replaced the last of a line of Inkjet Printers.

The Brother line of printers was recommended to me by the proprietor of an Inkjet Cartridge Refill store. The replacement toner cartridge is reasonably priced, as long as you don't but the replacement for the Manufacturer. There's a company here in the US, Quikship Toner that has the Cartridge for under $30.00 (including shipping) Of course, I don't anything about the availability there in the UK.

I can't t thank you enough for the solution to my problem.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net